Rose Creations Die flower tutorial

Wednesday, January 18, 2012


Hello, I've put together a little tutorial for the paper flower I made (I used it on a card in my previous post) using the Spellbinders Rose Creations Die. I've made a medium sized flower here but you could make any size you like using the same techniques with the different sized flower dies. I used some paper from the Random Collection (Crate Paper). I painted the back pink to match but you could use any double sided paper.


You can play around with the number of layers, I didn't use the largest flower die and I graduated the size of the layers. After I die cut and embossed the flowers I inked the edges with Distress Ink (Antique Linen) because I was going for a more shabby look.


This step is optional, continuing the shabby look I lightly sanded the edges of the petals, just roughly, don't be too uniform about this.


Now you need to curl each of the petals of every flower except the smallest one. I used a bone folder for this, I bent the edges over it to form a gentle curl.


Now using the rounded end of any pen rub the centre of each flower to create a cupped effect. You need to do this on a foam pad or upturned mouse mat. (as you can see mine gets a lot of use!)


For the smallest layer rub the centre and petals so it rounds up almost into a ball. This layer will be pinched closed.


Now using a needle nosed tweezers pinch and twist clockwise along the middle of each petal to form a little line, do this for each layer except the smallest.


Ok, so all your flower layers should look a bit like this, depending on how many layers you want and how full you want your flower to be.


I like to glue three layers together separately and let them dry a little before assembling the flower. (You could use a brad to secure them together but I prefer to use glue to make them really solid!) When gluing the layers make sure you alternate where the petals are, the petal above should be between the gap of the two petals below.


I usually add a dot or two of glue with a toothpick to the smallest layer to keep it closed so it looks like a bud. Squish the smaller layers together a bit.


Then glue the two sections together and make any adjustments. I kinda think this one looks a bit like a carnation! Maybe with a few more layers! Anyway it's a sweet little flower. Oh and I just discovered a REALLY cool tutorial using the same Spellbinders Rose Creations Die, this one shows you how to make a large Cabbage Rose, using similar techniques, I'm off to give it a try!

18 comments

  1. thanks for sharing this, very nice shape to the rose this way. Have to go try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous flower :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial ... beautiful rose Clare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Clare! This die set is on my wishlist.....can you tell us how big (in diameter) your finished flower is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute flower, thanks for sharing!!
    Nati from Brazil
    http://natiquill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lin, the finished flower I made is 2" in diameter. I didn't use the largest flower die so you could make it bigger if you wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic tutorial and wonderful result. The paper you chose is perfect for your flower. I absolutely love this set of dies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this die and you have shown me another way of creating this flower. Thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So simple yet so beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial. I am tempted to get that die now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you showed how to make this flower. I was instantly intrigued when I saw it on the card. LOL beautiful by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fabulous tutorial! So grateful you showed each step and explained why. Thank you for sharing your lovely cards. I've enjoyed my morning browsing your blog, and have become your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial. The die set is now on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this die for a while and my roses where more flat . now I tried to make Your rose and it is so easy to make , and so pretty
    thanks for sharing.nice pictures
    I follow you from Holland.
    jetty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Clare,
    I've just pinned this flower to pinterest, so I hope you get lots of compliments. Thank you for this great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, thanks!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.